Back to Main Page

Mystery Satellite

In February 1960 a station of the North American Air Defense  System picked up a radar echo from an enormous space station
orbiting the Earth. This intercept caused panic and alarm throughout America's and the Soviet Union's Defense
Departments. It was the wrong kind of orbit for a Soviet launch. The space station was in a polar orbit, whereas the
orbits of Soviet satellites were invariably inclined at 65 degrees to the equator, which took the satellites over South
America and North Africa. Apart from that, there was no booster on either side of the Atlantic capable of putting such
an object into space. American scientists had calculated that the weight of the orbiting station was around 15 tons. For
three weeks the Americans kept track of the space station, then it vanished as suddenly as it had appeared.

The February intercept was just the first in a series of
strange space phenomena which have baffled scientists
worldwide for over three decades. On September 3, 1960, seven
months after the first intercept, it was revealed that an
unidentified object had been photographed in the sky over New
York by a tracking camera at Grumman Aircraft Corporation's
Long Island factory. The object, which appeared to emanate a
red glow, had been seen several times during the preceding two
weeks, apparently following an east-to-west orbit, whereas
most satellites were launched in the opposite direction, and
its speed appeared to be about three times that of America's
Echo 1 "metal balloon" satellite.

The Americans attached so much importance to these mystery
sightings that they organized a special committee to gather as
much information as possible about them. But the committee's
findings, if there were any, were kept secret and the
sightings were forgotten.

Then, on May 15th, 1963, a Mercury capsule carrying Gordon
Cooper blasted into space from Cape Canaveral on a 22-orbit
mission around the world. During the final orbit, Cooper
informed the Muchea, Australia tracking station that he could
see a glowing, greenish object rapidly approaching his capsule
from directly ahead.

Whatever Cooper saw was solid and large enough to be picked up
travelling east to west by Muchea's radar. Cooper's sighting
was reported by NBC, which was broadcasting live coverage of
Cooper's flight, but when Cooper landed, reporters were not
allowed to ask him about the sighting. The "official"
statement was that Cooper had been hallucinating due to
release of poisonous carbon dioxide from an electrical short
in the capsule.

But Cooper, who is a firm believer in UFOs and later made the
UN speech in which he had referred to aliens, UFOs and
interstellar travel, had 10 years earlier seen a UFO while
piloting his F-86 Sabrejet over western Germany.

In June 1965, astronauts Ed White_the first American to walk
in space and who was later to die with Gus Grissom and Roger
Chaffee in a launch-pad fire during a test of an Apollo
capsule_and James McDivitt were passing over Hawaii in a
Gemini capsule when they observed a strange metallic object
some distance away. It appeared to have arms or projections.
McDivitt took pictures of it with a motion picture camera.
Those films have never been released.

The "official" Air Force explanation was that the two
astronauts had seen a Pegasus satellite, which was equipped
with broad protruding "arms" to register hits from
micro-meteorites. But the Air Force forgot to mention that
while the astronauts were over Hawaii, the Pegasus was over
1,000 miles away and could not have been observed.

In December 1965, Gemini astronauts Jim Lovell and Frank
Borman also saw something strange in space during the second
orbit of their record-breaking 14-day flight around Earth.
Borman reported that he was observing an unidentified
spacecraft some distance away from their capsule. Gemini
Control at Kennedy suggested that he might be seeing the final
stage of the huge Titan booster which had lifted him and
Lovell into orbit earlier that day.

Borman confirmed the sighting of the booster shining
brilliantly in the sunlight. But what he was observing was
something different; something he could not explain. Later
NASA claimed that Borman had seen the wreckage of a U.S. Air
Force rocket that had been blown up during a launch several
days earlier. But the Air Force rebuked the claim when they
insisted that no wreckage was in that particular orbit. They
were placing a series of military recon satellites into orbit,
however, and those launches were cloaked in secrecy.

There may be rational explanations for all the NASA sightings
and for many of the sighting which occur in America almost
daily. For years flying saucer scares were carefully fostered
by the Soviet Union to draw attention from sensitive areas and
secret experiments. Anything unusual seen in the skies above
Sverdlovsk, a town barred to all foreign visitors because it
is an important center of Soviet missile production, was
attributed to UFO activity.

We suspect every other industrialized nation does the same to
protect their "black" projects and secret weapons.

This information is provided as a public service, but we cannot guarantee that the information is current or accurate. Readers should verify the information before acting on it.